Question on Competition Rules

Polite discussion on any topic friends with shared interests may discuss.
Forum rules
Friendly and polite discussion that friends with shared interests may find interesting.
TimCanon

Question on Competition Rules

Post by TimCanon »

Hello All,

The probably should have been posted in the Competition section, but as a new forum member, I don't have permission to post into that area yet.

The Competition rules (5.j) states that "all manipulations and source material (e.g., cloned sources) must be made by and owned by the photographer."

How is this being interpreted with the new "sky replacement" tool in Photoshop? If I replace is sky using one of the skies that come with that tool, will that disqualify the image from submission?

Thanks,
Tim
John Tabor

Re: Question on Competition Rules

Post by John Tabor »

TimCanon wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 11:44 The Competition rules (5.j) states that "all manipulations and source material (e.g., cloned sources) must be made by and owned by the photographer."

How is this being interpreted with the new "sky replacement" tool in Photoshop? If I replace is sky using one of the skies that come with that tool, will that disqualify the image from submission?
The goal is to construct all composites (and sky replacement is a form of composite) with your own source material rather than stock imagery. The reality is I expect it will be extremely rare that somebody will challenge an image under this rule.

However, after Luminar introduced their similar sky replacement feature, it became a bit of a game online to identify which default sky was used in an image. The risk of this "game" being applied to your images is reduced by using a range of sky images (avoiding frequent use of the same skies), and modifying the blends of color and texture of the new sky.
TimCanon

Re: Question on Competition Rules

Post by TimCanon »

Thanks John, I have not used Luminary, so I wasn't aware of that "game", but I can easily see how it would be used. I'll have to investigate how to use my own sky shots with the Photoshop tool.

Tim